Salons by JC has always been on the digital forefront, offering tenants, their guests and franchise owners the latest tools to stay engaged. Now, the company is offering those affiliates the first FREE software system and mobile app that were created specifically for those involved in its salon-suite business model.
Steve Griffey, CEO and president of Salons by JC says “This is the first and only truly integrated software solution that helps tenants manage their businesses and helps franchisees manage their property. And, it is completely free. Unlike other apps such as Style Seat and Vagaro, the tenant’s app includes a messaging system that allows our tenants to communicate directly with our franchisees. That’s huge, because it speeds up communication and allows us to help our tenants even faster. Additionally, the Property Management System software is integrated with the tenant rent-payment system, so we can now dispense with Excel spreadsheets and save a lot of time managing payments.”
At Salon Suite Solutions (S3) in Dallas, Texas, the company that developed the system, founder and CEO Erik Hanson says the software for suite owners and companion tenant’s app are intended to help all users succeed and remain successful.
Advantages for Tenants and Their Clients
The way new app works for Salons by JC tenants is simple but powerful. Both tenants and their clients download the app, which allows tenants to toggle between their appointment calendars and the in-app text messaging system. This in-app system keeps personal, native text messages separate from professional ones, which simplifies running a business.
“Clients never see tenants’ appointment books, which is something they told us was extremely important to them,” says Hanson. “Because tenant’s fill-in the appointment book themselves, there’s no more looking at online books only to discover a 10 a.m. and a 7 p.m. appointment with a huge gap in-between. Tenants can also adjust any appointment time if they know a client will need an extra 10 or 15 minutes. Other apps have fixed times that don’t allow such adjustments.”
Other business-enhancing features for tenants include:
- The app collects full client histories that allow Salons by JC tenants to instantly see hair color formulas, contact numbers, personal notes or photos of a look that a client is working toward.
- All the information stored in the app, including the appointment book, is backed up in the cloud. There’s no more worrying about lost phones or paper books.
- The innovative app comes with a complete marketing system. Each tenant gets a mini website with a link that can be shared on social media. The website includes a link to download the app, information on any redeemable specials, bios, style photos and a salon menu. The same information is contained within the app itself. This makes it simple for anyone, such as a client who just got new hair color, to post a photo on Facebook along with the link, so that the client’s friends can download the app, book an appointment and redeem the special offer.
- Tenants can collect payments through the app or through the mini website. While clients do not book with a credit card, tenants can use the app to invoice clients in advance for special items, such as hair that must be ordered for extension services.
- Clients receive appointment reminders through push notifications, text messages or email, which they must confirm. They will also have the opportunity to cancel an appointment or request a change, which helps make no-shows a thing of the past.
- Tenants can pay their rent directly through the app, a time-saver that users love.
Says Jennifer Retz, a tenant at Salons by JC in Waco, Texas, “I’m really excited that Salons by JC is using this app and that there is no cost to us. It’s nice to have access to so many tools in one app, and the processing fees for card payments are comparable to others we’ve been using.”
Additionally, in a first of its kind, the web-based software system gives franchisees a complete solution for managing their properties.
Advantages for Franchisees
Property Management System software is fully integrated with the tenant payment system, which allows franchisees to not only collect rent but to see individual suites and payments made at a glance. The software also tracks in-coming payments, and provides document and cloud storage. Additionally, a reporting system shows vacancy rates and other data, such as income per square foot.
“We’re very excited about the new app and all the features and functionality it provides to our own business and our tenants’ businesses,” says David Greenberg, owner of three Salons by JC locations in the Nashville area. “Tenants love the fact it’s free and offers a wide array of features; they particularly love the credit card processing. We love building value into the Salons by JC brand and know that the new app will help us attract and retain tenants going forward.”
With 360-degree support that benefits franchisees, operators and guests, Salons by JC maintains a strong commitment to its proven model. Eventually, all the tenants in one Salons by JC location will be able to offer a special by mutual consent, increasing their geographic competitiveness.
Says Griffey, “In the future, the app will create opportunities for our tenants to market to new clients, order back-bar, manage inventory and sell their preferred products. For franchisees, we’re developing our brand with new prototype designs and marketing tools that help them recruit and retain tenants.”
The business-smart software and app are now available to all Salons by JC tenants and franchise owners. The app is compatible with Android and iOS; the Property Management System is for Macs or PCs.
About Salons by JC: In 1997, Jack Griffey and Cecil Miller began their journey to transform the beauty industry one salon suite at a time. Like most young entrepreneurs, they started out with a big idea, but had to learn how to start and run a business from scratch. After much perseverance and hard work, Salons by JC opened its doors in 1998 in Dallas, TX, welcoming beauty and wellness specialists who were ready to break free from the traditional salon model. The company has since moved its headquarters from Dallas to San Antonio, where it continues to grow through franchising. Today, Salons by JC has 53 locations in over 20 states and Canada. In 2016, Salons by JC plans to add 25 more locations throughout the U.S. and Canada and is committed to developing over 200 stores in all major markets over the next several years.